There’s no denying the fact that skateboarding is fun! And if you’ve recently learned to ride a skateboard or planning to learn how, your first priority should be buying a new one. But what is the average skateboard price?
A skateboard can cost you starting from $20 to as high as $600. However, on average, the price range between 75 to 150 bucks is a safe place to start. And this wide price range mainly depends on the brand, type, and the quality of the board you’re buying.
So, should you buy a skateboard worth only 20 bucks? Or should you raise your budget and spend hundreds to buy a good skateboard? This article answers all your questions on how much does a skateboard cost and what factors you should keep in mind.
What Is The Average Skateboard Price?
Settling for a budget can be tricky especially when you don’t know the different types and brands that are out there in the market. For example, you can have a skateboard with a price as low as $20 up to $600, like I mentioned above. Alternatively, you may opt for a customized skateboard which can be fairly cheap as well as you may end up spending between $50 and $300.
The amount you spend usually depends on the quality of parts you pick and the manufacturing location. There are different factors affecting these prices as we are going to see later in this article such as purchase location, brand, and quality.
Since the skateboard you choose will have a significant impact on your performance, make sure you set your preferences right.
If you are a beginner, think of the skateboard you would prefer and how often you are going to be skating. You will probably meet the quality that meets your standards. Below I’ll discuss the types of skateboards that will help you in decision-making and budgeting.
Types of Skateboards
- Beginner Skateboards: If you are a beginner and you just want to enjoy the thrill of skating without putting a dent in your wallet, this is a good choice for you. It’s not the best but it’s good enough to meet your skating expectations. It will cost you between $40 to $70.
- Classic Skateboards: If you are ready to explore different skating styles then this would be a suitable choice for you. However, they are not good for cruising. They are further classified into different categories based on their capabilities. Their price ranges between $60 to $400.
- Street Skateboards: These are lightweight and are suitable for skaters interested in slides, grinds, or performing tricks within urban environments. The decks on these skateboards are popsicle stick-shaped with small wheels for easy navigation. Their price ranges between $70 to $200.
- Blank Skateboards: These are simple and allow you to skate with ease. They are suitable for professionals and can still give you the right value for your money. Mostly, they are in solid colors, with no complicated graphics or designs. The price ranges between $50 to $110.
- Professional Skateboards: If you are looking forward to a skating competition, this is the best choice for you. This type of skateboard is popular among professional skaters. They consist of high-quality deck and if you are a beginner you can learn to skate with them with less trouble. The price ranges between $100 to $250.
- Long Skateboards: If you are a long-distance skater then this is the best option for you. They will also give you the acceleration you need for downhill skating. With the stable deck platform, these skateboards are ideal for learners as well. However, longboards have limited capabilities due to its long size. Hence you can’t perform tricks on these. Longboards will cost around $60 to $500.
- Kid Skateboards: Just like the name implies, these skateboards are designed for children. They are a bit cheap and they provide basic safety features for safe skating. The price ranges between $20 to $45.
Why Are There Price Fluctuations?
Just like any other market, demand and supply is the primary factor that leads to price change. Recently, skateboard prices have increased due to supply chain issues. Also, increased demand due to the rising number of skating activities whereas the stock is limited is another major contributor.
Other factors causing price fluctuations include:
The more a brand becomes popular, it will have an impact on the price tag. Skateboards from popular brands tend to be more expensive compared to other brands that are yet to gain popularity. Note that, a brand can gain popularity either because they make good quality skateboards or inferior quality skateboards. When you are choosing a brand make sure you understand the origin of its popularity. Assess their quality and design.
Different types of skateboards have different characteristics and this affects how they function. The skateboard you choose to settle for will depend on your skills and purpose. For instance, if you are going to participate in a tournament, you will require a professional skateboard which might cost you more compared to other boards.
An expensive skateboard does not always indicate quality. So don’t be surprised when you come across a cheaper model that is more durable than the popular models.
It is possible to find an affordable skateboard with every feature matching a popular model or a popular model that is worth their price tag. Ensure that you gather enough information regarding the quality of the brand you settle for.
It’s not a surprise to find the same skateboard being sold at different prices in different locations. Some dealers will even take advantage of their popularity in that area and increase the prices while others will sell at a fair price.
Are There Any Additional Costs To Buy A Skateboard?
Purchasing a skateboard is only the beginning. Most people will only focus on what is the average skateboard price, putting aside other additional costs. These costs will eventually add up depending on your skating style. For example, street skaters will be required to replace their shoes more often as the grip tape eats through the suede.
Besides, buying cheap stuff means that you are going to replace them sooner. For example, quality wheels will last you longer while cheap wheels will flat spot easily. The same thing applies to trucks; cheap trucks are likely to wear out faster compared to quality trucks.
The key here is to invest on the best skateboard while sticking to your budget.
Just like any other sport or hobby, you will be required to replace your skateboard and gear frequently. For skateboarding, you may also have to include a skate park fee depending on how often you skate there. If you wish to become a frequent skater, the table below will give the average monthly costs that you are likely to spend:
|Gear||Average Monthly Costs|
|Skate Park Fees||$10|
|Shoes||$15 – $50|
|Pants||$5 – $20|
|Replacing Skateboard Parts||$10 – $20|
|Total||$40 to $90|
So, if you’re looking for a budget skateboard under 100 bucks, now you know that there are much more hidden costs that you need to consider. And for you to have a complete skateboard, the average price may range between 75 to 150 bucks.
How Much Should You Spend On A Skateboard?
The amount you spend on a skateboard will depend on various factors. For example, if you are a beginner, you will most likely go for a beginner skateboard which will cost you an average price of $40 to $70. However, this price may differ depending on the brand you settle for and the location you buy.
Again, you may choose to buy skateboard parts and have them assembled for you. The quality of skateboard parts you buy will also determine the amount you are going to spend. Let us look at the various skateboard parts and their average price:
- Decks price ranges from $10 to $90
- Wheels price ranges from $10 to $40
- Trucks price ranges from $10 to $50
- Bearings ranges from $10 bucks to $100 bucks
- Grip tape price ranges from $5 to $10
Again, these prices may differ depending on where you get your parts. The objective here is just to give you an idea of the average skateboard price to help you in budgeting.
Now that you have an idea of the average skateboard price, you are in a better position to budget with ease and to pick the right skateboard that suits your needs. While some high-quality skateboards will cost $300 and below, others will cost you a fortune simply because of their popularity. Ensure that you take enough time to research and decide the type of skateboard you want.