Undoubtedly, hoverboards have brought a new sense of style and innovation to commuting. High-end self-balancing scooters these days feature a rugged build, allowing riders to take them anywhere. But, the most critical question remains – can you ride a Hoverboard in the rain?
A hoverboard can survive rains based on several factors. You have to consider the nature of its contact with rain. If the specifications say it has water-resistant certifications (like IPX6), it should go into rain just fine.
You also have to consider the build and design of the hoverboard. This guide can help to put all your concerns to ease. You will find all the answers you need about riding in the rain on a hoverboard.
Can You Ride a Hoverboard in the Rain?
Whether you can ride a hoverboard in the rain highly depends on two main factors. You have to consider the design of your hoverboard and to what extent it comes in contact with the rain.
A waterproof hoverboard will survive rain splashes and shallow puddles. But, you want to avoid heavy rain or submersion in mud, even with a waterproof hoverboard. On the other hand, you want to avoid riding in the rain if you have a non-waterproof hoverboard.
How Do I Know My Hoverboard is Safe in the Rain?
Figuring out if your hoverboard is safe in the rain can be a little tricky. After all, even an all-terrain hoverboard, such as the Swagboard T6 Outlaw, shouldn’t be on the water. Even with 10-inch tires, these hoverboards are still not ideal for wet surfaces.
Many manufacturers advise against using hoverboards in wet conditions. According to manufacturers, you shouldn’t ride a hoverboard in the rain due to its electronic design.
In fact, some manufacturers caution that riding a hoverboard in the rain forfeits its warranty. Nonetheless, you will find that there are some exceptions too. In the market, you can find hoverboards with different water-resistant and waterproof ratings.
Factors To Look Out For When Choosing a Water Friendly Hoverboard
You can use this feature along with features such as tire design to determine if it’s safe to ride one in the rain. For example, an IP44 rated hoverboard has slight waterproof protection.
Interior electronics in IP44 hoverboards survive water splashes and spray. However, these components should be at least a millimeter or more in size. Thus, you shouldn’t ride an IP44 rated hoverboard in full rain. But, it can survive light splashes and sprays.
On the other hand, an IPX7 rating refers to a fully waterproof hoverboard. This means that its body survives submersion for up to a meter underwater for 30 minutes. Such heavy duty hoverboards typically fetch at a high price tag.
Nonetheless, you still have to exercise caution. An IPX7 rating doesn’t mean a hoverboard isn’t susceptible to water damage. Sure, many technological advancements find their way into the market daily. But, there really isn’t a hoverboard that offers fully waterproof protection yet.
So, when you ask yourself, can I ride a hoverboard in the rain? Don’t just focus on the waterproof rating. Look at other factors too. Pay attention to the tire design and the sealing of interior components. You can even refer to real-life customer reviews of the hoverboard.
What Happens When Your Hoverboard Gets Wet?
The interior electronic components are the first to suffer. Components can range from the battery to the motherboard or wiring. You will notice more damage from hoverboards that have been exposed to the rain for longer. Even a hoverboard advertised as being “fully waterproof” will suffer some water damage.
How to Fix A Hoverboard That Got Wet
Even if you exercise the most precautions, your hoverboard can still get wet. Thus, you have to learn how to diagnose and fix your hoverboard if this happens.
Follow the steps below to diagnose and fix a hoverboard that is suspected of having water damage.
- Start by powering off the hoverboard off. Then, remove its battery before you start diagnosing the problem.
- Remove the outer casing, so you can quickly salvage your hoverboard. Unscrewing the casing exposes the interior, allowing you to examine where the water accumulated.
- Remove components such as motherboard and sensors and immediately give them “first aid.” Follow the rice drying technique. Fill up a large bowl with rice and cover each component with it. Leave the components in the rice bowl for 12 to 24 hours to dry the components. The rice does this by absorbing the moisture from the electronics.
- Next, remove the hoverboard’s chassis and leave it to air dry out for at least 24 hours.
- After removing the components from the rice, use Q-tips to wipe them gently. Avoid touching the boards directly with your hands!
- Use a paper towel or Q-tips to wipe the chassis and other larger components of the hoverboard.
- When all the hoverboard components have dried, put it back together, power it up, and check to see if it works.
The hoverboard may power up but not work. If it does this, the chances are that a component needs replacement. If the hoverboard doesn’t power up at all, get a professional repair expert. Alternatively, this may be an indicator that the hoverboard suffered total damage.
Safety Tips and Precautions While Riding a Hoverboard
The bottom line is you have to take extra precautions when riding a hoverboard. Before you do so, ask yourself, “is it ok to ride a hoverboard in the rain?” If you own one of those premium-quality IPX7 rated boards, you can freely do so. But, even with the best waterproof hoverboard, take precautions where necessary.
Some common safety tips and precautions to follow while riding a hoverboard include:
- Investing in a good quality waterproof hoverboard for when it rains
- Get a hoverboard rain cover as well, in case you don’t have a waterproof board.
- Always cross-check the waterproof rating of the board before using it
- Know where to ride to help reduce risks of damage
- Stick to riding on dry days! Even the best waterproof boards will not handle shallow puddles or heavy rains for long.
The bottom line is, you have to have the right hoverboard as well as know how far you can go with your board. We hope, now you know whether can you ride a hoverboard in the rain or not. It would be nice to have a hoverboard you can pierce through deep puddles and heavy downpours with.
However, even with the top premium quality board, you will not be able to achieve this. So the best solution is to avoid riding your hoverboard on wet grounds or in heavy rain. Always stick to dry surfaces and ride on dry days!